Top ten most awkward roommate moments
Maybe you get along with your roommate, maybe you don't. Either way, sooner or later we all run into situations that are less than comfortable involving our roommates. Here are the top ten most awkward (and sometimes funny) roommate situations that I've heard about: 10. Your roommate is from a very urban area and has not seen woodland creatures like squirrels up close, and therefore is oddly curious about them.
I have a friend at University of Hartford whose roommate was infatuated with the squirrels on campus and once said "I thought I saw a baby squirrel, but it was just a chipmunk," in a Louisianan accent.
College campus squirrels are unusually comfortable with people. But, if you're not used to them, don't be trying to make friends with them. That's unsafe.
And for the record, chipmunks look nothing like baby squirrels.
9. Your roommate has an intense phobia of a common items found in dorm rooms, and it's something you use frequently. I knew someone who had a roommate who had a minor phobia of milk. Not something you hear every day. And what if milk is your favorite beverage? I would feel sad and slightly awkward for both people in this situation.
8. Your roommate has an obvious condition of some sort, but has not told you and does not like to talk about it.
This is not a funny-awkward situation, it's just plain uncomfortable-especially when it's a sort of condition with symptoms that are obvious. You can't bring it up, so it just hangs there like the elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge. It's times like that when you start living in the library.
7. Your roommate does random things her sleep that make you think that she's awake.like having a full-blown conversation with you.
A friend of mine told me a story about how a past roommate began talking about a problem of his while lying in his bed. My friend listened, conversed, and gave him advice. His roommate then drifted off babbling incoherently-he had been asleep the whole time - mildly entertaining, kind of awkward.
6. You're comfortable with your roommate, you get along. You don't have a problem changing in front of them, but you do have a problem when they forget to wear pants, a shirt, or are just completely naked altogether.
Even if you dig the person you're living with and you like how they are comfortable with their body.you may not be comfortable with their body. At least close the blinds so no one else sees.
5. Your roommate is extremely untidy, to the point where your room is a biohazard. The piles of crap developing on that side of the room are not only spilling onto your side, but an unpleasant odor is emanating and you cannot even remember if your roommate ever washed any of the clothes on the floor.
You have to call them out on it, or you keep it to yourself and hope it goes away. Either way, it's pretty darn awkward.
4. You're in a triple or a quad, and you and one or two other roommates get along, but the leftover one is a jerk, a spaz, or just a weirdo and none of you like her. The two or three of you will become friends, and the other roommate is left out.sometimes deliberately.
Or, you're the leftover roommate. This is a delicate awkward situation, because no one wants to make it terribly obvious that not all of you are tight.
3. You don't think you have ever interacted with your roommate when they have been sober. They like to party, which you get, but they are drunk all the time.
Your room chronically smells like a mixture of old vomit and lemon cleaning products from all the hangovers that have been cleaned up. This is ridiculously awkward because you don't want to be a rat and tattle on them and you don't want to tell them how to run their life, so what can you do? I guess you'll get used to the smell eventually.
2. Your roommate is cheating on their significant other, often, and in your room.
I have heard several stories about situations like these, and the most awkward has to be a combinations of: a) the roommate knows that you know she's cheating AND that you know the person she's cheating on, and b) the roommate insists on cheating in your room, even when you are present.
Ratting the cheater out might not be your place, so perhaps you should just leave some condoms on their bed.or would that make it more awkward?
1. Your roommate is the one who always sets off the fire alarm in Leo Hall. Enough said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Despite 0-2 start, Maker, Red Foxes garner optimism
- Kleba talks about his passion for PersonaCards
- Marist cross country team writes to Chicago pen pals
- First Meal Madness will have you asking for seconds
- Life in Gulliver's Paws: a student veteran and his dog
- Journalism students: Why not write for The Circle
- Why criticism of Navy SEAL is justified
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge