Behind the seams of the Michael Kors Fall 2009 show
Heidi Klum gets interviewed backstage by E! on her reactions to the Michael Kors Fall 2009 fashion show. Katie Cline
Finally. The day I've been waiting for since I first found out I got the public relations internship at Michael Kors. The day of the fall 2009 runway show is here. I meet the other four interns for an imperative 7 a.m. Starbucks stop before we begin what is sure to be the most hectic and exciting day of our internship. After we finish up a few menial tasks at the office, we're off to get the show underway at the tents in Bryant Park. Lucky for us, our office is just across the street.
It's amazing to be a part of Fashion Week during any season, but this one holds a particularly special sentiment; after 16 years, this is the last season of collections to be shown in Bryant Park before it relocates to its new home in Lincoln Center.
Immediately upon arriving we're put to work. The show doesn't begin until 11 a.m. but there is much to be done. Two other interns and I are placed at the backstage entrance. Sarah, an employee from the collection sales department, is showing us the ropes and quietly informs us that anyone who's anyone (read: celebrities) enters through here.
Michael Kors and his mother Joan, the West Coast regional coordinator, are walking around, checking the runway lighting and music before Kors begins a slew of interviews. Above the entrance to the runway hangs a poster with Kors' message to the models.
"When the going gets tough, the tough get tougher," sums up the feeling of the show, with a certain rebellion against the current economy.
With only a limited number of backstage passes, we take turns escorting members of the press to either the front of the runway (to photograph/videotape the show) or the backstage area (to record footage of hair and makeup being done). We glance at the looks before they go down the runway, or wait to interview one of the models, a celebrity, or most importantly, Kors himself.
Although everything appears to be going smoothly, the day would not be complete without a few interesting characters. One veteran fashion show crasher attempts to gain backstage access by claiming she is Kors' mother. She's quickly escorted out of the tent. Even worse was a videographer who was already backstage.
When we informed him it was too crowded backstage and he'd have to go take his seat, he responded "I was just wondering if I could interview the designer first?"
Upon learning he hadn't made prior arrangements, we told him it would be impossible. "Okay," he responded. "But just so I know, what is the designer's name?"
Soon the big stars start to roll in, including models Carmen Kass and Chanel Iman, both who will be walking in the show. The crme de la crme of the editorial world is here, including Nina Garcia, Hamish Bowles, André Leon Talley and, of course, Anna Wintour. But what would a fashion show be without the beautiful people? Heidi Klum, Molly Sims, Joy Bryant, and Jane Krakowski all took in Kors' designs.
The lights dim and the crowd goes silent with anticipation. The orange glow of the lights and the powerful rock remix of Coldplay and the Pet Shop Boys blur the line between a fashion show and a fierce party.
This season, Kors shows a broad spectrum of pieces ranging from basics in black, coffee and blonde, to shredded fox coats and trapper hats in highlighter yellow, safety orange and neon pink. The best part of the day is after the show when we get to go backstage again with the celebrities as they congratulate Kors. Fortunately, the show went off without a hitch. Tomorrow the real work begins when the reviews begin to flood in but as for right now, there's an after party to attend.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Murray to retire with Marist at a historical high point
- Bleachers coming to Marist for Spring Concert
- Furious 7 Review
- Marist Dance Ensemble to Perform Spring Showcase This Weekend
- Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program at Marist
- Some Dreams Never Die: Why I Love Marist is Here to Stay
- Dancing with the Stars Contestants Pull Big Crowd
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now