Lacrosse starts season with win
In Coach Keegan Wilkinson's first game as head coach of the Marist Men's Lacrosse program, his team prevailed to victory as the Foxes defeated the Sacred Heart University Pioneers 12-10 in regulation this past Sunday afternoon in their season-opener.
"It was an overall great game for us," Wilkinson said, "we got great contribution from some younger guys, great goaltending, and great defense."
Among the nine Red Foxes to tally a point in the final box score, four of them were freshmen, accounting for seven of the total 33 points.
Junior attack man, Jack Doherty, provided the Foxes with a game-high three goals and was one of eight different Red Foxes to find the back of the net on Sunday. Junior preseason All-American, Connor Rice, had a game-high five points (two goals, three assists) and freshman Colin Joka, in his first collegiate game, also added two scores. On Tuesday, Rice was named MAAC Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.
"Obviously this is a time in which we're still trying to figure out what type of team we're going to be," Doherty said, "if we continue to work as a team on offense like we did on Sunday, we're going to have great success this year." Doherty was the Red Foxes' leading goal scorer last season (31G) and is off to a great start to repeating a strong sophomore season.
After trailing 1-0 with about five minutes left in the first period, freshmen midfielder, Brett Bernardo, scored his first collegiate goal to tie the game. Six seconds later, junior midfielder, Matt Dugan, scored to give Marist the lead; one which they would not surrender for the remainder of the game.
In the final 2:06 of the first half, Marist scored three times to take a 7-3 lead at the midway point. Sophomore Craig Goodermote got the nod to start the game in goal for the Foxes. Goodermote faced 12 Pioneer shots and made nine saves.
Freshman Dave Scarcello took over between the pipes at the start of the second half for the Foxes and finished the game, recording seven saves on 14 shots.
Despite a Doherty goal with 12:43 remaining in the fourth quarter to give the Foxes a comfortable 12-5 lead, things got a little dicey, as Marist couldn't bury another one all the way until the game's completion. Sacred Heart went on a large scoring stretch in which they connected for five straight goals to end the game. Fortunately for Marist, they had already built a sizeable cushion and were able to hang on for a 12-10 triumph to improve their 2012 season record to 1-0.
"Although things got a little out of control at the end, we did a really nice job of hanging for the win. Our defense played awesome today (as expected) and I was very happy with the effort both Craig [Goodermote] and Dave [Scarcello] provided in goal for us," Wilkinson said.
The Red Foxes will look to make it two straight wins to start the season when they travel to play Stony Brook this coming Saturday. This will be the first of three more road games before Marist plays their home-opener on March 17 against Jacksonville.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Marist students "Lean In" on campus
- Spring registration causes headaches for communication students
- Reflecting on the upcoming cancellations of fall television shows
- Intro to Public Relations class raises money for local Poughkeepsie children
- Philosophy conference's keynote address draws crowd
- Marist’s society of professional journalists meets with news organizations
- SGA Beat: Week of Nov. 16
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists