Lacrosse starts season with win
In Coach Keegan Wilkinson's first game as head coach of the Marist Men's Lacrosse program, his team prevailed to victory as the Foxes defeated the Sacred Heart University Pioneers 12-10 in regulation this past Sunday afternoon in their season-opener.
"It was an overall great game for us," Wilkinson said, "we got great contribution from some younger guys, great goaltending, and great defense."
Among the nine Red Foxes to tally a point in the final box score, four of them were freshmen, accounting for seven of the total 33 points.
Junior attack man, Jack Doherty, provided the Foxes with a game-high three goals and was one of eight different Red Foxes to find the back of the net on Sunday. Junior preseason All-American, Connor Rice, had a game-high five points (two goals, three assists) and freshman Colin Joka, in his first collegiate game, also added two scores. On Tuesday, Rice was named MAAC Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.
"Obviously this is a time in which we're still trying to figure out what type of team we're going to be," Doherty said, "if we continue to work as a team on offense like we did on Sunday, we're going to have great success this year." Doherty was the Red Foxes' leading goal scorer last season (31G) and is off to a great start to repeating a strong sophomore season.
After trailing 1-0 with about five minutes left in the first period, freshmen midfielder, Brett Bernardo, scored his first collegiate goal to tie the game. Six seconds later, junior midfielder, Matt Dugan, scored to give Marist the lead; one which they would not surrender for the remainder of the game.
In the final 2:06 of the first half, Marist scored three times to take a 7-3 lead at the midway point. Sophomore Craig Goodermote got the nod to start the game in goal for the Foxes. Goodermote faced 12 Pioneer shots and made nine saves.
Freshman Dave Scarcello took over between the pipes at the start of the second half for the Foxes and finished the game, recording seven saves on 14 shots.
Despite a Doherty goal with 12:43 remaining in the fourth quarter to give the Foxes a comfortable 12-5 lead, things got a little dicey, as Marist couldn't bury another one all the way until the game's completion. Sacred Heart went on a large scoring stretch in which they connected for five straight goals to end the game. Fortunately for Marist, they had already built a sizeable cushion and were able to hang on for a 12-10 triumph to improve their 2012 season record to 1-0.
"Although things got a little out of control at the end, we did a really nice job of hanging for the win. Our defense played awesome today (as expected) and I was very happy with the effort both Craig [Goodermote] and Dave [Scarcello] provided in goal for us," Wilkinson said.
The Red Foxes will look to make it two straight wins to start the season when they travel to play Stony Brook this coming Saturday. This will be the first of three more road games before Marist plays their home-opener on March 17 against Jacksonville.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Bonnie and Clyde stars to steal the stage and our hearts
- Students hope to Take Back the Tap
- Marist alumna uses her fashion and sports education to create FitzU clothing...
- 4 Foxy things you need to know this week on campus
- Clean up your act: Climate change is preventable
- Marist alum, Bill O’Reilly, ‘71, debuts new book
- Why Obamacare is not good for America
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR