Lacrosse starts season with win
In Coach Keegan Wilkinson's first game as head coach of the Marist Men's Lacrosse program, his team prevailed to victory as the Foxes defeated the Sacred Heart University Pioneers 12-10 in regulation this past Sunday afternoon in their season-opener.
"It was an overall great game for us," Wilkinson said, "we got great contribution from some younger guys, great goaltending, and great defense."
Among the nine Red Foxes to tally a point in the final box score, four of them were freshmen, accounting for seven of the total 33 points.
Junior attack man, Jack Doherty, provided the Foxes with a game-high three goals and was one of eight different Red Foxes to find the back of the net on Sunday. Junior preseason All-American, Connor Rice, had a game-high five points (two goals, three assists) and freshman Colin Joka, in his first collegiate game, also added two scores. On Tuesday, Rice was named MAAC Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.
"Obviously this is a time in which we're still trying to figure out what type of team we're going to be," Doherty said, "if we continue to work as a team on offense like we did on Sunday, we're going to have great success this year." Doherty was the Red Foxes' leading goal scorer last season (31G) and is off to a great start to repeating a strong sophomore season.
After trailing 1-0 with about five minutes left in the first period, freshmen midfielder, Brett Bernardo, scored his first collegiate goal to tie the game. Six seconds later, junior midfielder, Matt Dugan, scored to give Marist the lead; one which they would not surrender for the remainder of the game.
In the final 2:06 of the first half, Marist scored three times to take a 7-3 lead at the midway point. Sophomore Craig Goodermote got the nod to start the game in goal for the Foxes. Goodermote faced 12 Pioneer shots and made nine saves.
Freshman Dave Scarcello took over between the pipes at the start of the second half for the Foxes and finished the game, recording seven saves on 14 shots.
Despite a Doherty goal with 12:43 remaining in the fourth quarter to give the Foxes a comfortable 12-5 lead, things got a little dicey, as Marist couldn't bury another one all the way until the game's completion. Sacred Heart went on a large scoring stretch in which they connected for five straight goals to end the game. Fortunately for Marist, they had already built a sizeable cushion and were able to hang on for a 12-10 triumph to improve their 2012 season record to 1-0.
"Although things got a little out of control at the end, we did a really nice job of hanging for the win. Our defense played awesome today (as expected) and I was very happy with the effort both Craig [Goodermote] and Dave [Scarcello] provided in goal for us," Wilkinson said.
The Red Foxes will look to make it two straight wins to start the season when they travel to play Stony Brook this coming Saturday. This will be the first of three more road games before Marist plays their home-opener on March 17 against Jacksonville.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Despite 0-2 start, Maker, Red Foxes garner optimism
- Kleba talks about his passion for PersonaCards
- Marist cross country team writes to Chicago pen pals
- First Meal Madness will have you asking for seconds
- Life in Gulliver's Paws: a student veteran and his dog
- Journalism students: Why not write for The Circle
- Why criticism of Navy SEAL is justified
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge