"Pitch Perfect" Review
"Pitch Perfect" is a new musical comedy by Jason Moore that follows the lives of several college students competing in a high-stakes a cappella competition. Although the film isn't wholly original or deeply satisfying, it is a perfectly respectable "chick-flick" that fits perfectly with our pop-cultural obsession with musical dramedies.
However, despite an obvious attempt at riding off the success of "Glee," "Pitch Perfect"is going to alienate a portion of its audience with its soundtrack. While a lot of a cappella programs diversify their soundtracks, modern music dominates the scene here. Additionally, the film seems to act as an inside joke to a cappella enthusiasts. For example, saying "a ca-" before asking a question ("aca-scuse me?") is funny maybe once...here it's extended to a running gag.
Another issue that "Pitch Perfect" suffers from is ill-advised casting. The likeable Anna Kendrick, already known to young audiences for her roles in the "Twilight"saga, fits well enough, but the 27 year old hardly passes for a college freshman. Additionally, there are a couple of occasions in which actresses are shoehorned into the film, playing characters that are hastily introduced with little to no introduction.
However, despite a few curious casting choices, Kay Cannon's (producer of "New Girl") has developed a stable set of fairly unique and believable lead characters. In addition to Kendrick's Becca, we're introduced to "Fat Amy," played by Rebel Wilson, who's slowly becoming the female Zach Galifianakis. While I found Wilson annoying in "Bridesmaids,"her awkwardness and hilarious one-liner deliveries truly made "Fat Amy" a memorable character. Anna Camp and Brittany Snow appear as the seniors of the team, who add some much need emotion and heart into the group.
For a chick flick, "Pitch Perfect"is actually pretty tolerable. So while I'm not exactly giving "Pitch Perfect"a perfect review, it does hit its notes at time. Whether it's a film that was made for you, that's for you to decide.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A Better Valentine's Day Gift for Couples?
- Crowdfunding's Latest Effort: Preventing Youth Sports...
- El Regalo Ideal Para Cualquier Etapa De Tu Relación
- Seeing a Chiropractor First Can Save You Money
- Flu Season Has Arrived: Helpful Tips to Prevent the...
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?
- GlobalGiving and Athletic Tips Partner to Help Keep Young...
- Share Your Love This Valentine's Day
- From Bratty to Bearable, Global Nanny Jo Frost Tackles...
- Fibromyalgia: The Disease Whose Exact Cause Remains Unknown