"Pitch Perfect" Review
"Pitch Perfect" is a new musical comedy by Jason Moore that follows the lives of several college students competing in a high-stakes a cappella competition. Although the film isn't wholly original or deeply satisfying, it is a perfectly respectable "chick-flick" that fits perfectly with our pop-cultural obsession with musical dramedies.
However, despite an obvious attempt at riding off the success of "Glee," "Pitch Perfect"is going to alienate a portion of its audience with its soundtrack. While a lot of a cappella programs diversify their soundtracks, modern music dominates the scene here. Additionally, the film seems to act as an inside joke to a cappella enthusiasts. For example, saying "a ca-" before asking a question ("aca-scuse me?") is funny maybe once...here it's extended to a running gag.
Another issue that "Pitch Perfect" suffers from is ill-advised casting. The likeable Anna Kendrick, already known to young audiences for her roles in the "Twilight"saga, fits well enough, but the 27 year old hardly passes for a college freshman. Additionally, there are a couple of occasions in which actresses are shoehorned into the film, playing characters that are hastily introduced with little to no introduction.
However, despite a few curious casting choices, Kay Cannon's (producer of "New Girl") has developed a stable set of fairly unique and believable lead characters. In addition to Kendrick's Becca, we're introduced to "Fat Amy," played by Rebel Wilson, who's slowly becoming the female Zach Galifianakis. While I found Wilson annoying in "Bridesmaids,"her awkwardness and hilarious one-liner deliveries truly made "Fat Amy" a memorable character. Anna Camp and Brittany Snow appear as the seniors of the team, who add some much need emotion and heart into the group.
For a chick flick, "Pitch Perfect"is actually pretty tolerable. So while I'm not exactly giving "Pitch Perfect"a perfect review, it does hit its notes at time. Whether it's a film that was made for you, that's for you to decide.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- The race is on: Which GOP nominee will come out on top?
- Indiana law incites backlash from businesses and LGBT supporters
- Textual Healing: Fifty Shades of BDSM
- The Om-mazing Benefits of Meditation
- Amy Shchumer shines as host of the 2015 MTV Movie Awards
- Murray to retire with Marist at a historical high point
- Bleachers coming to Marist for Spring Concert
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!