"Pitch Perfect" Review
"Pitch Perfect" is a new musical comedy by Jason Moore that follows the lives of several college students competing in a high-stakes a cappella competition. Although the film isn't wholly original or deeply satisfying, it is a perfectly respectable "chick-flick" that fits perfectly with our pop-cultural obsession with musical dramedies.
However, despite an obvious attempt at riding off the success of "Glee," "Pitch Perfect"is going to alienate a portion of its audience with its soundtrack. While a lot of a cappella programs diversify their soundtracks, modern music dominates the scene here. Additionally, the film seems to act as an inside joke to a cappella enthusiasts. For example, saying "a ca-" before asking a question ("aca-scuse me?") is funny maybe once...here it's extended to a running gag.
Another issue that "Pitch Perfect" suffers from is ill-advised casting. The likeable Anna Kendrick, already known to young audiences for her roles in the "Twilight"saga, fits well enough, but the 27 year old hardly passes for a college freshman. Additionally, there are a couple of occasions in which actresses are shoehorned into the film, playing characters that are hastily introduced with little to no introduction.
However, despite a few curious casting choices, Kay Cannon's (producer of "New Girl") has developed a stable set of fairly unique and believable lead characters. In addition to Kendrick's Becca, we're introduced to "Fat Amy," played by Rebel Wilson, who's slowly becoming the female Zach Galifianakis. While I found Wilson annoying in "Bridesmaids,"her awkwardness and hilarious one-liner deliveries truly made "Fat Amy" a memorable character. Anna Camp and Brittany Snow appear as the seniors of the team, who add some much need emotion and heart into the group.
For a chick flick, "Pitch Perfect"is actually pretty tolerable. So while I'm not exactly giving "Pitch Perfect"a perfect review, it does hit its notes at time. Whether it's a film that was made for you, that's for you to decide.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!