"Pitch Perfect" Review
"Pitch Perfect" is a new musical comedy by Jason Moore that follows the lives of several college students competing in a high-stakes a cappella competition. Although the film isn't wholly original or deeply satisfying, it is a perfectly respectable "chick-flick" that fits perfectly with our pop-cultural obsession with musical dramedies.
However, despite an obvious attempt at riding off the success of "Glee," "Pitch Perfect"is going to alienate a portion of its audience with its soundtrack. While a lot of a cappella programs diversify their soundtracks, modern music dominates the scene here. Additionally, the film seems to act as an inside joke to a cappella enthusiasts. For example, saying "a ca-" before asking a question ("aca-scuse me?") is funny maybe once...here it's extended to a running gag.
Another issue that "Pitch Perfect" suffers from is ill-advised casting. The likeable Anna Kendrick, already known to young audiences for her roles in the "Twilight"saga, fits well enough, but the 27 year old hardly passes for a college freshman. Additionally, there are a couple of occasions in which actresses are shoehorned into the film, playing characters that are hastily introduced with little to no introduction.
However, despite a few curious casting choices, Kay Cannon's (producer of "New Girl") has developed a stable set of fairly unique and believable lead characters. In addition to Kendrick's Becca, we're introduced to "Fat Amy," played by Rebel Wilson, who's slowly becoming the female Zach Galifianakis. While I found Wilson annoying in "Bridesmaids,"her awkwardness and hilarious one-liner deliveries truly made "Fat Amy" a memorable character. Anna Camp and Brittany Snow appear as the seniors of the team, who add some much need emotion and heart into the group.
For a chick flick, "Pitch Perfect"is actually pretty tolerable. So while I'm not exactly giving "Pitch Perfect"a perfect review, it does hit its notes at time. Whether it's a film that was made for you, that's for you to decide.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor