Kappas keep active with Guinness World Record effort
The McCann Arena will feature chair back seating and LED video boards. Courtesy of Marist Athletics
The Zeta Chi Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma at Marist College joined local students in helping the nonprofit group, Walkway Over the Hudson, launch their drive to break a Guinness World Record by gathering 3,000 people to form the "World's Longest Line of Dancers Performing the Hokey Pokey."
The kick-off event was held on April 2at the entrance to the pedestrian walking bridge that connects Ulster County with the City of Poughkeepsie. The girls of Zeta Chi danced the Hokey Pokey to raise awareness for the organization's June 9 fundraising event, where a Guinness World Records judge will be in attendance to present the new world record if the attempt is a success.
"This will be one of the most exciting public events in the Hudson Valley," said Elizabeth Waldstein-Hart, Walkway's executive director. "What a spectacular sight, the world's longest line of people on the world's longest pedestrian bridge."
This event will be one of Walkway Over the Hudson's prime fundraisers for this year. Under the terms established by Guinness World Records, a line comprised of at least 2,352 dancers will be required to perform the Hokey Pokey non-stop for a period of at least five minutes in order to break the record.
The Zeta Chi chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma has a prominent presence both on the Marist campus and in the city of Poughkeepsie. This past year alone, the sisters read and donated books to the children at the Catharine Street Community Center, donated to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, held a Valentine's Day fundraiser for The Kappa Foundation and raised over $1,000 for Relay for Life. They capped off the spring semester by placing first at Greek Week.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards