Kappas keep active with Guinness World Record effort
The McCann Arena will feature chair back seating and LED video boards. Courtesy of Marist Athletics
The Zeta Chi Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma at Marist College joined local students in helping the nonprofit group, Walkway Over the Hudson, launch their drive to break a Guinness World Record by gathering 3,000 people to form the "World's Longest Line of Dancers Performing the Hokey Pokey."
The kick-off event was held on April 2at the entrance to the pedestrian walking bridge that connects Ulster County with the City of Poughkeepsie. The girls of Zeta Chi danced the Hokey Pokey to raise awareness for the organization's June 9 fundraising event, where a Guinness World Records judge will be in attendance to present the new world record if the attempt is a success.
"This will be one of the most exciting public events in the Hudson Valley," said Elizabeth Waldstein-Hart, Walkway's executive director. "What a spectacular sight, the world's longest line of people on the world's longest pedestrian bridge."
This event will be one of Walkway Over the Hudson's prime fundraisers for this year. Under the terms established by Guinness World Records, a line comprised of at least 2,352 dancers will be required to perform the Hokey Pokey non-stop for a period of at least five minutes in order to break the record.
The Zeta Chi chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma has a prominent presence both on the Marist campus and in the city of Poughkeepsie. This past year alone, the sisters read and donated books to the children at the Catharine Street Community Center, donated to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, held a Valentine's Day fundraiser for The Kappa Foundation and raised over $1,000 for Relay for Life. They capped off the spring semester by placing first at Greek Week.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Murray to retire with Marist at a historical high point
- Bleachers coming to Marist for Spring Concert
- Furious 7 Review
- Marist Dance Ensemble to Perform Spring Showcase This Weekend
- Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program at Marist
- Some Dreams Never Die: Why I Love Marist is Here to Stay
- Dancing with the Stars Contestants Pull Big Crowd
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now