Kappas keep active with Guinness World Record effort
The McCann Arena will feature chair back seating and LED video boards. Courtesy of Marist Athletics
The Zeta Chi Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma at Marist College joined local students in helping the nonprofit group, Walkway Over the Hudson, launch their drive to break a Guinness World Record by gathering 3,000 people to form the "World's Longest Line of Dancers Performing the Hokey Pokey."
The kick-off event was held on April 2at the entrance to the pedestrian walking bridge that connects Ulster County with the City of Poughkeepsie. The girls of Zeta Chi danced the Hokey Pokey to raise awareness for the organization's June 9 fundraising event, where a Guinness World Records judge will be in attendance to present the new world record if the attempt is a success.
"This will be one of the most exciting public events in the Hudson Valley," said Elizabeth Waldstein-Hart, Walkway's executive director. "What a spectacular sight, the world's longest line of people on the world's longest pedestrian bridge."
This event will be one of Walkway Over the Hudson's prime fundraisers for this year. Under the terms established by Guinness World Records, a line comprised of at least 2,352 dancers will be required to perform the Hokey Pokey non-stop for a period of at least five minutes in order to break the record.
The Zeta Chi chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma has a prominent presence both on the Marist campus and in the city of Poughkeepsie. This past year alone, the sisters read and donated books to the children at the Catharine Street Community Center, donated to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, held a Valentine's Day fundraiser for The Kappa Foundation and raised over $1,000 for Relay for Life. They capped off the spring semester by placing first at Greek Week.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Kleba talks about his passion for PersonaCards
- Marist cross country team writes to Chicago pen pals
- First Meal Madness will have you asking for seconds
- Life in Gulliver's Paws: a student veteran and his dog
- Journalism students: Why not write for The Circle
- Why criticism of Navy SEAL is justified
- Jeremy Schaap inspires aspiring sports journalists
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge