Kappas keep active with Guinness World Record effort
The McCann Arena will feature chair back seating and LED video boards. Courtesy of Marist Athletics
The Zeta Chi Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma at Marist College joined local students in helping the nonprofit group, Walkway Over the Hudson, launch their drive to break a Guinness World Record by gathering 3,000 people to form the "World's Longest Line of Dancers Performing the Hokey Pokey."
The kick-off event was held on April 2at the entrance to the pedestrian walking bridge that connects Ulster County with the City of Poughkeepsie. The girls of Zeta Chi danced the Hokey Pokey to raise awareness for the organization's June 9 fundraising event, where a Guinness World Records judge will be in attendance to present the new world record if the attempt is a success.
"This will be one of the most exciting public events in the Hudson Valley," said Elizabeth Waldstein-Hart, Walkway's executive director. "What a spectacular sight, the world's longest line of people on the world's longest pedestrian bridge."
This event will be one of Walkway Over the Hudson's prime fundraisers for this year. Under the terms established by Guinness World Records, a line comprised of at least 2,352 dancers will be required to perform the Hokey Pokey non-stop for a period of at least five minutes in order to break the record.
The Zeta Chi chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma has a prominent presence both on the Marist campus and in the city of Poughkeepsie. This past year alone, the sisters read and donated books to the children at the Catharine Street Community Center, donated to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, held a Valentine's Day fundraiser for The Kappa Foundation and raised over $1,000 for Relay for Life. They capped off the spring semester by placing first at Greek Week.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Know your Sodexo: she knows your name, here's hers
- The Gift that Keeps on Giving: The Marist College Giving Tree
- Marist students "Lean In" on campus
- Spring registration causes headaches for communication students
- Reflecting on the upcoming cancellations of fall television shows
- Intro to Public Relations class raises money for local Poughkeepsie children
- Philosophy conference's keynote address draws crowd
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG