Women's soccer defeats Binghamton
The Marist women's soccer team defeated Binghamton, 2-0, at Tenney Stadium Friday night. The win improves the Red Foxes to 6-4 on the season, while Binghamton drops to 6-3.
Rycke Guiney and Marjana Maksuti scored the goals for Marist, while Caitlin Landsman recorded the shutout in net in front of over 1,500 fans. It was the eighth career shutout for the senior goalie from Burke, VA.
"It feels really great. The girls had a great week of practice, and one of the things we emphasized throughout the week was just playing as a team again. Having the atmosphere we had tonight allowed us to regain the energy and the confidence that we need to play as a team," Lyn said.
The Red Foxes would strike first, just 2:33 into the match, off a rebound from a shot on net by junior Alycia Cartica that Guiney played off the keeper and deposited into the back of the net.
Junior Samantha Panzner provided the next quality scoring chance in the 14 minute when she crossed a ball into Maksuti, who put it just wide of the net. That would be the theme for the remainder of the first half for the Red Foxes, who dominated the time of possession over the Bearcats.
Binghamton keeper Carrie Martin denied senior Jackie Frey's opportunity with a diving save in the 29 minute mark that kept the scoreboard reading 1-0 for the time being.
The score was still 1-0 when the teams headed into their locker rooms for halftime.
Connie Gormley nearly tied the game up for the visitors with a pair of shots that were both saved by Landsman.
Marist would double their lead at the 57 minute mark, when Maksuti collected a cross from sophomore Amanda Epstein, headed it off the post before gathering the rebound, and netting her second career goal.
The Red Foxes would have one more great opportunity in the game when Frey played the ball off a direct kick by Guiney, and sent her shot just wide of the frame.
When the clock struck 90 minutes, Marist had increased their unbeaten streak at home to 11 games dating back to last season.
The defending MAAC Champions outshot Binghamton 14-11, including 5-4 in shots on goal. The Red Foxes also earned seven corner kicks as opposed to just two for the Bearcats.
"I think the highlight of the game would be playing individuals that aren't necessarily in the starting lineup and coming in and impacting. Alysa Murphy as a freshman, its her first night starting and the first two minutes, comes up with an assist and starts to hold her own. I think it's a tell tale sign to the team that we really don't rely on any one individual" Lyn said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS