Women's soccer defeats Binghamton
The Marist women's soccer team defeated Binghamton, 2-0, at Tenney Stadium Friday night. The win improves the Red Foxes to 6-4 on the season, while Binghamton drops to 6-3.
Rycke Guiney and Marjana Maksuti scored the goals for Marist, while Caitlin Landsman recorded the shutout in net in front of over 1,500 fans. It was the eighth career shutout for the senior goalie from Burke, VA.
"It feels really great. The girls had a great week of practice, and one of the things we emphasized throughout the week was just playing as a team again. Having the atmosphere we had tonight allowed us to regain the energy and the confidence that we need to play as a team," Lyn said.
The Red Foxes would strike first, just 2:33 into the match, off a rebound from a shot on net by junior Alycia Cartica that Guiney played off the keeper and deposited into the back of the net.
Junior Samantha Panzner provided the next quality scoring chance in the 14 minute when she crossed a ball into Maksuti, who put it just wide of the net. That would be the theme for the remainder of the first half for the Red Foxes, who dominated the time of possession over the Bearcats.
Binghamton keeper Carrie Martin denied senior Jackie Frey's opportunity with a diving save in the 29 minute mark that kept the scoreboard reading 1-0 for the time being.
The score was still 1-0 when the teams headed into their locker rooms for halftime.
Connie Gormley nearly tied the game up for the visitors with a pair of shots that were both saved by Landsman.
Marist would double their lead at the 57 minute mark, when Maksuti collected a cross from sophomore Amanda Epstein, headed it off the post before gathering the rebound, and netting her second career goal.
The Red Foxes would have one more great opportunity in the game when Frey played the ball off a direct kick by Guiney, and sent her shot just wide of the frame.
When the clock struck 90 minutes, Marist had increased their unbeaten streak at home to 11 games dating back to last season.
The defending MAAC Champions outshot Binghamton 14-11, including 5-4 in shots on goal. The Red Foxes also earned seven corner kicks as opposed to just two for the Bearcats.
"I think the highlight of the game would be playing individuals that aren't necessarily in the starting lineup and coming in and impacting. Alysa Murphy as a freshman, its her first night starting and the first two minutes, comes up with an assist and starts to hold her own. I think it's a tell tale sign to the team that we really don't rely on any one individual" Lyn said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Spring registration causes headaches for communication students
- Reflecting on the upcoming cancellations of fall television shows
- Intro to Public Relations class raises money for local Poughkeepsie children
- Philosophy conference's keynote address draws crowd
- Marist’s society of professional journalists meets with news organizations
- SGA Beat: Week of Nov. 16
- The Center for Sports Communication holds valuable fourth annual AP Sports...
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists