Men's basketball adds Hart to recruiting class
The Marist men's basketball rounded out its incoming class by announcing the signing two weeks ago of Delaware Player of the Year Khallid Hart. Hart joins Eric Truog and Phillip Lawrence, who committed in the fall signing period, in the class of 2012
"We're excited about Khallid," head coach Chuck Martin said. "He's a great kid, great family. We know he's a winner. I just think he's got the entire package."
Hart is a 6-foot-2 point guard out of Sanford High School in Newark, Delaware. In his senior year, he led the team with 15.7 points and 5.9 assists per game on the way to a third straight state championship, a 23-1 record and the State Player of the Year award. Hart will replace R.J. Hall, last year's backup point guard and the only senior to graduate from the team.
According to Martin, fellow MAAC schools Rider and Niagara were in the mix for Hart, as well as Boston University, Delaware and Jacksonville. However, Martin said that because of the relationship forged between Hart and Marist, he didn't feel the need to visit other schools.
On ESPN.com's Recruiting Nation, Hart is ranked the 47th-best point guard in the country with a two-star rating of 85, the highest rating of a recruit in Martin's time at Marist. Martin said that recruiting has come easier in recent years.
"The last two years. Adam [Kemp], Pieter [Prinsloo] and Jay [Bowie]'s class was the start of it. Last year was a really good recruiting class with Chavaughn [Lewis], T.J. [Curry], Isaiah [Morton] and Manny [Thomas]. I think we're following that up with an equally as good class with Khallid Hart, with Phillip Lawrence and Eric Troug."
Last season, freshman had a major influence on the squad that went 14-18, an eight-win improvement over the previous season. Morton started all but one game point guard in his first season while classmate Lewis led the team in scoring with 14.4 points per game. The class of 2012 seems poised to make an immediate impact as well.
"Philip will give us an athletic four-man that we have not had in the program since I've been here," Martin said. "He's a legit 6-7 and he plays above the rim. Eric Troug gives us a lot of physicality. At 6-9, 250, he's a big, strong kid. I'm excited about him being able to come in and participate right away."
Although only Hall graduated, Martin said that enough scholarships were available to add all three. With the addition of Hart, the Class of 2012 is now complete.
"Great kid, he's fun to watch," Martin said of Hart. "I think people in our community will really enjoy watching him play.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS