Men's basketball adds Hart to recruiting class
The Marist men's basketball rounded out its incoming class by announcing the signing two weeks ago of Delaware Player of the Year Khallid Hart. Hart joins Eric Truog and Phillip Lawrence, who committed in the fall signing period, in the class of 2012
"We're excited about Khallid," head coach Chuck Martin said. "He's a great kid, great family. We know he's a winner. I just think he's got the entire package."
Hart is a 6-foot-2 point guard out of Sanford High School in Newark, Delaware. In his senior year, he led the team with 15.7 points and 5.9 assists per game on the way to a third straight state championship, a 23-1 record and the State Player of the Year award. Hart will replace R.J. Hall, last year's backup point guard and the only senior to graduate from the team.
According to Martin, fellow MAAC schools Rider and Niagara were in the mix for Hart, as well as Boston University, Delaware and Jacksonville. However, Martin said that because of the relationship forged between Hart and Marist, he didn't feel the need to visit other schools.
On ESPN.com's Recruiting Nation, Hart is ranked the 47th-best point guard in the country with a two-star rating of 85, the highest rating of a recruit in Martin's time at Marist. Martin said that recruiting has come easier in recent years.
"The last two years. Adam [Kemp], Pieter [Prinsloo] and Jay [Bowie]'s class was the start of it. Last year was a really good recruiting class with Chavaughn [Lewis], T.J. [Curry], Isaiah [Morton] and Manny [Thomas]. I think we're following that up with an equally as good class with Khallid Hart, with Phillip Lawrence and Eric Troug."
Last season, freshman had a major influence on the squad that went 14-18, an eight-win improvement over the previous season. Morton started all but one game point guard in his first season while classmate Lewis led the team in scoring with 14.4 points per game. The class of 2012 seems poised to make an immediate impact as well.
"Philip will give us an athletic four-man that we have not had in the program since I've been here," Martin said. "He's a legit 6-7 and he plays above the rim. Eric Troug gives us a lot of physicality. At 6-9, 250, he's a big, strong kid. I'm excited about him being able to come in and participate right away."
Although only Hall graduated, Martin said that enough scholarships were available to add all three. With the addition of Hart, the Class of 2012 is now complete.
"Great kid, he's fun to watch," Martin said of Hart. "I think people in our community will really enjoy watching him play.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections