Men's soccer completes thrilling comeback
In a comeback that can only be described as ferocious, the Marist men's soccer team pulled out a 3-2 win over Adelphi, sending them into conference play on a high note. The Red Foxes were down 2-0 early in the second half, before a three-goal rally in the final 25 minutes of play salvaged a win.
Senior forward Stephan Brossard netted two goals, including the game winner in the 85th minute, and freshman midfielder Simon Laugsand added the other to send Marist off victorious in their final non-conference tilt of the season.
"It's always gratifying and pleasing to the coach to get a win and show some character," Marist head coach Matt Viggiano said. "To come back and score three goals in the last 25 minutes of the game to win it, I was pleased."
The Red Foxes certainly did not get off to a great start, coming out of the gate flat, conceding two shots on goal in the first 12 minutes of the game. The Red Foxes were outshot, in total shots, 7-4 in the first half, including a 37th minute penalty kick strike by Adelphi's Nicholas Costa, putting the hosts up 1-0 heading into the lockerrooms.
Despite having halftime to regroup, Marist conceded just 23 seconds into the second half, as Adelphi buried a rebound given up by Marist goalie Anthony Sokalski, to put the Panthers up 2-0.
"You could tell that once they scored their second one, we got mad," Viggiano said. "We kind of went through the motions in the first half and didn't play as well. Once we gave up the goal 23 seconds into the second half I think it flipped the switch."
Flipping the switch was almost an understatement, as from the time they surrendered the second goal, the Red Foxes came alive. Junior midfielder Wes Finch and junior striker Greg Davis each had attempts go wide of the target, before Brossard put Marist on the board in the 64th minute, as he slotted his shot home following a nice move inside the box.
The Red Foxes continued on the attack, earning themselves a penalty kick one minute later. Laugsand stepped up and had his try saved by Adelphi keeper Ahmad Salamah, but he buried his own rebound, knotting the score at two.
Marist continued to control the play, before finally finding a winner as redshirt senior Josh Faga found Brossard who completed the brace, scoring his second goal of the match, giving the Red Foxes the 3-2 victory.
"On the road, in the last game before conference play, it would have been really easy to start focusing on next week, but the guys rallied," Viggiano said. "They knew I wasn't pleased, we kind of put ourselves into that predicament, but to be able to get ourselves out of it was positive."
Marist opens up their MAAC schedule this weekend, as they take on Manhattan in their conference opener on Friday at 7 p.m. and conclude their weekend against the St. Peters Peacocks on Sunday at 2 p.m.
"If we want to be sitting in the playoffs, if we want to be here when we host MAACs, where I know our guys want to be, we need to get sixpoints out of this weekend," Viggiano said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Despite 0-2 start, Maker, Red Foxes garner optimism
- Kleba talks about his passion for PersonaCards
- Marist cross country team writes to Chicago pen pals
- First Meal Madness will have you asking for seconds
- Life in Gulliver's Paws: a student veteran and his dog
- Journalism students: Why not write for The Circle
- Why criticism of Navy SEAL is justified
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge