Men's soccer completes thrilling comeback
In a comeback that can only be described as ferocious, the Marist men's soccer team pulled out a 3-2 win over Adelphi, sending them into conference play on a high note. The Red Foxes were down 2-0 early in the second half, before a three-goal rally in the final 25 minutes of play salvaged a win.
Senior forward Stephan Brossard netted two goals, including the game winner in the 85th minute, and freshman midfielder Simon Laugsand added the other to send Marist off victorious in their final non-conference tilt of the season.
"It's always gratifying and pleasing to the coach to get a win and show some character," Marist head coach Matt Viggiano said. "To come back and score three goals in the last 25 minutes of the game to win it, I was pleased."
The Red Foxes certainly did not get off to a great start, coming out of the gate flat, conceding two shots on goal in the first 12 minutes of the game. The Red Foxes were outshot, in total shots, 7-4 in the first half, including a 37th minute penalty kick strike by Adelphi's Nicholas Costa, putting the hosts up 1-0 heading into the lockerrooms.
Despite having halftime to regroup, Marist conceded just 23 seconds into the second half, as Adelphi buried a rebound given up by Marist goalie Anthony Sokalski, to put the Panthers up 2-0.
"You could tell that once they scored their second one, we got mad," Viggiano said. "We kind of went through the motions in the first half and didn't play as well. Once we gave up the goal 23 seconds into the second half I think it flipped the switch."
Flipping the switch was almost an understatement, as from the time they surrendered the second goal, the Red Foxes came alive. Junior midfielder Wes Finch and junior striker Greg Davis each had attempts go wide of the target, before Brossard put Marist on the board in the 64th minute, as he slotted his shot home following a nice move inside the box.
The Red Foxes continued on the attack, earning themselves a penalty kick one minute later. Laugsand stepped up and had his try saved by Adelphi keeper Ahmad Salamah, but he buried his own rebound, knotting the score at two.
Marist continued to control the play, before finally finding a winner as redshirt senior Josh Faga found Brossard who completed the brace, scoring his second goal of the match, giving the Red Foxes the 3-2 victory.
"On the road, in the last game before conference play, it would have been really easy to start focusing on next week, but the guys rallied," Viggiano said. "They knew I wasn't pleased, we kind of put ourselves into that predicament, but to be able to get ourselves out of it was positive."
Marist opens up their MAAC schedule this weekend, as they take on Manhattan in their conference opener on Friday at 7 p.m. and conclude their weekend against the St. Peters Peacocks on Sunday at 2 p.m.
"If we want to be sitting in the playoffs, if we want to be here when we host MAACs, where I know our guys want to be, we need to get sixpoints out of this weekend," Viggiano said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Bonnie and Clyde stars to steal the stage and our hearts
- Students hope to Take Back the Tap
- Marist alumna uses her fashion and sports education to create FitzU clothing...
- 4 Foxy things you need to know this week on campus
- Clean up your act: Climate change is preventable
- Why Obamacare is not good for America
- Marist alum, Bill O’Reilly, ‘71, debuts new book
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”