Women's soccer defeats Fordham 1-0
Defending MAAC champions now 3-1 on the season.
The Marist women's soccer team defeated Atlantic-10 foe Fordham on Sunday afternoon by a score of 1-0. The win improves the Red Foxes to 3-1 on the season, while the Rams drop to 1-3.
"It means a lot, after that Colgate game, the team spirits were a little bit low, this win definitely helped us be in a much better place mentally," Head Coach Cait Lyn said.
Marjana Maksuti's first career goal at 21:15 proved to be the eventual game winner. Each side finished with six shots on goal, while the hosts held the edge in overall shots 16-9.
Senior keeper Caitlin Landsman made six saves to earn her tenth career victory and the seventh shutout of her career as well. Ally White recorded five saves in the losing effort for the Rams.
Maksuti, a sophomore playing against her twin sister Kristina of Fordham, took a cross off the foot of Jessica Arabia and headed it past White from near the penalty stripe to give the Red Foxes a 1-0 lead at the time.
Marist had a few more chances in the second half, including a shot by Jaclynn Sabia that sailed just over the net in the latter stages of the match.
When the final whistle was blown, the scoreboard read 1-0 in favor of the visitors, and went down in the books as the third win of the young season for the defending MAAC champions.
Coming into this season, the Red Foxes were once again picked to take home the crown, and according to their coach, have handled the high expectations quite well so far.
"I think so far we're taking it quite well. They're pretty determined, especially the senior class. It's a big group of starters that we have in that class and I think last year they knew it was possible and got it done. In all honesty, I think they want another ring," Lyn said.
Next up for Lyn's squad will be one of their toughest matches of the season, as they head to UConn on Wednesday night to take on the Huskies.
Out of the Big East conference, UConn presents a formidable challenge for Marist. Having already played a trio of Top 25 teams at Boston College, Santa Clara and UNC, the Huskies enter Wednesday's match with a record of 2-2-1.
"We're a team that is pretty flexible and can change our style to fit what is needed for the game, knowing the key players and what they do on restarts. Essentially, I think it is just going to be a really physical match that the girls have to prepare for mentally," Lyn said.
Kickoff is scheduled for 7 P.M. at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Kleba talks about his passion for PersonaCards
- Marist cross country team writes to Chicago pen pals
- First Meal Madness will have you asking for seconds
- Life in Gulliver's Paws: a student veteran and his dog
- Journalism students: Why not write for The Circle
- Why criticism of Navy SEAL is justified
- Jeremy Schaap inspires aspiring sports journalists
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge