A preview to Sustainability Day
On Thursday, March 29, Marist will be hosting its annual "Sustainability Day" in order to promote green living and values on campus and in daily routines. The theme for the event this year is "Stewardship of the Commons". While the event itself is a daylong event, students are encouraged to come and explore the different panels and activities made available to them.
Many of the panels feature Marist professors and students engaging in relevant and interesting topics pertaining to the environment. For example, a student-led panel will take place on Thursday afternoon as they discuss what strides Marist is making in terms of being a steward to the environment and what else Marist can do to improve itself.
The day is kicked-off with a welcome address from Dr. Dennis J. Murray at 11 am. Then, Paul Gallay will be giving the opening speech shortly after Dr. Murray
The day then continues on with vendors set up around the student center starting at 12 pm. The variety of vendors and displays covers a variety of topics and interests. This includes, and is not limited to: discussions about the new Zip Cars on campus, SGA Green's and SEED's commitment to the environment,Greenway Composting, the Valley CafÃ©, regional foods, and much more. There will also be tours of the Hancock Center, which will be highlighting the buildings' sustainable designs and features. The tours are limited to ten people per group, so try to get there early. The tours run from 12:00-12:30 pm, and 2:30-4:00 pm.
Meanwhile, there will also be panels running throughout the day that will be covering interesting topics like fish populations as an indicator of the environmental health of a body of water, an issue that is a concern among many environmentalists. There will also be a presentation by students enrolled in the Fall 2010 Environment Science & Policy course ENSC 392, Campus Environmental Sustainability.
The day ends with a closing speech by Dr. Tim Lance in the Nelly Goletti Theatre at 5 pm, which is followed by an environmental/sustainability themed open mic night, where students can discuss important environmental and social issues to them.
The day does not only include panels, displays, speeches, and panels but also films. Throughout the day, films will be airing in the Nelly Goletti Theatre. One of the films showing is "Bloom: The Plight of Lake Champlain".
Written and directed by Victor Gadagno, it is adocumentary about the health of the 6th largest lake in the United States and the future of the watershed communities of Vermont, New York, and Quebec that surround its waters. This is a story emblematic of lake basins domestic and worldwide that is in a downward spiral from eutrophication. This results in the fertilization of freshwater systems from a human economy out of balance with its sustaining ecosystem.
The Campus Sustainability Advisory Committee is excited to see the turn out and the values brought forward from the day's riveting events.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Prenatal Vitamin Your Mom Wishes She Had
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE