Marist deemed military friendly school
Gipson is seeking the 41st district Senate seat in N.Y. in the 2012 election. Photo courtesy of Terry Gipson
G.I. Jobs.com has recently listed Marist as a "Military Friendly School" in recognition of the college's services and programs dedicated to supporting veterans and active duty military.
"Marist has a long history of serving veterans and service members, and it is
nice to receive this outside validation," Dean of Graduate and Adult Enrollment Sean-Michael Green said. Green, a Marine veteran also oversees the Marist Veterans Liaison Office and acts as a mentor to the Student Veteran Organization on campus, Fox Company.
"The honor places us in good company amongst institutions that value the maturity, diversity and leadership qualities of those who have served our country," Green said.
G.I. Jobs is a top source for veterans seeking information on higher education and civilian careers. This year's survey-driven list of military friendly schools includes over 1,700 schools representing the top 15 percent of U.S. higher education institutions doing the most to educate America's veterans and active duty military. The list ranks programs based on various criteria including a school's flexibility in accommodating veterans, veteran student support, academic accreditation, tuition discounts and military spouse policies.
"Some of the advantages that Marist had in the selection process are the fact that we have a Veteran Liaison Office (in 127 Dyson), special policies to protect deployed service members, participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program and an active and engaged Student Veteran Organization," Green said. Marist also offers a 25 percent discount on tuition for active duty personnel and their adult dependents.
"We strive to build a rapport with every Veteran that expresses an interest in attendance at Marist, and we work hard to make sure that their needs are met during the transition process from Military to Campus life," Student Veteran Liaison Josh Heath said.
To do this, Marist's Veteran services often go beyond the college's military benefit policies through events like Veteran's Orientation and special Veterans Day festivities. This year's Veterans celebration will be held on Nov. 9. Military items will be on display in the Rotunda from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and a lunch will be open to veterans and service members who are Marist students and alumni. New this year, all military students and alumni will be invited to come in and enter their names on an official register, from which a plaque will be created to be displayed on campus each year.
"These little things supplement the official things, like the Yellow Ribbon program and they serve to reinforce our dedication to Veterans as they become scholars," Heath said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections