Marist deemed military friendly school
Gipson is seeking the 41st district Senate seat in N.Y. in the 2012 election. Photo courtesy of Terry Gipson
G.I. Jobs.com has recently listed Marist as a "Military Friendly School" in recognition of the college's services and programs dedicated to supporting veterans and active duty military.
"Marist has a long history of serving veterans and service members, and it is
nice to receive this outside validation," Dean of Graduate and Adult Enrollment Sean-Michael Green said. Green, a Marine veteran also oversees the Marist Veterans Liaison Office and acts as a mentor to the Student Veteran Organization on campus, Fox Company.
"The honor places us in good company amongst institutions that value the maturity, diversity and leadership qualities of those who have served our country," Green said.
G.I. Jobs is a top source for veterans seeking information on higher education and civilian careers. This year's survey-driven list of military friendly schools includes over 1,700 schools representing the top 15 percent of U.S. higher education institutions doing the most to educate America's veterans and active duty military. The list ranks programs based on various criteria including a school's flexibility in accommodating veterans, veteran student support, academic accreditation, tuition discounts and military spouse policies.
"Some of the advantages that Marist had in the selection process are the fact that we have a Veteran Liaison Office (in 127 Dyson), special policies to protect deployed service members, participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program and an active and engaged Student Veteran Organization," Green said. Marist also offers a 25 percent discount on tuition for active duty personnel and their adult dependents.
"We strive to build a rapport with every Veteran that expresses an interest in attendance at Marist, and we work hard to make sure that their needs are met during the transition process from Military to Campus life," Student Veteran Liaison Josh Heath said.
To do this, Marist's Veteran services often go beyond the college's military benefit policies through events like Veteran's Orientation and special Veterans Day festivities. This year's Veterans celebration will be held on Nov. 9. Military items will be on display in the Rotunda from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and a lunch will be open to veterans and service members who are Marist students and alumni. New this year, all military students and alumni will be invited to come in and enter their names on an official register, from which a plaque will be created to be displayed on campus each year.
"These little things supplement the official things, like the Yellow Ribbon program and they serve to reinforce our dedication to Veterans as they become scholars," Heath said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Get Involved in Preventing Mosquitoes
- Preparing 21st Century Enterprises for Success in the...
- 7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Wedding Photographer
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- How Brand Marketers Drive Lift in Loyalty, Reach
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board
- LendEDU 2016 College Students and Personal Finance Study
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016