Film critic inaugurates Lowell Thomas screening room
Drink away your life's Hitchcock moments. klausthebest/FLICKR
Marist College hosted former N.Y. Daily News film critic Kathleen Carroll on Monday, Nov. 12 as the first presentation in the brand new screening room on the ground floor of the Lowell Thomas building. Carroll shared her experiences with prominent journalist and family friend Lowell Thomas. Carroll exchanged childhood memories and provided much insight into the man who has left a profound mark on Marist.
The second portion of the presentation was a showing of one of Carroll's favorite films produced by Thomas, entitled "High Adventure with Lowell Thomas." Thomas, along with his son Lowell Jr., or "Sunny," document their journey through the Himalayan Mountains in hopes of entering Tibet. Thomas was fascinated with Buddhism and its culture and was on a quest to meet the Dalai Lama. Thomas was one of the first westerners to visit Tibet. He documents the struggle for Buddhism to thrive in the face of Chinese control and communist influences. In the film, Thomas begins to understand why he was granted permission to conduct his assignment. The documentary allowed the people of Tibet to inform the western world about the overarching Chinese superpower.
This film gave a considerable amount of insight into the life and career of Lowell Thomas. His efforts in Tibet illustrate his dedication to world exploration and the importance of the media. Kathleen Carroll provided invaluable information into one of the pioneers of broadcast journalism. The presentation gave a face to the name that has become a prominent figure at Marist College.
Carroll's closing remarks encompass Lowell Thomas's influential contribution to the Marist community.
"I wanted to give you a glancing impression of what a really extraordinary man he was, and I think you are very lucky to be in this institution which has his name on it. He is a great role model."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Food, Fuel, and Finance ... The 3Fs of Economics
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates