Film critic inaugurates Lowell Thomas screening room
Drink away your life's Hitchcock moments. klausthebest/FLICKR
Marist College hosted former N.Y. Daily News film critic Kathleen Carroll on Monday, Nov. 12 as the first presentation in the brand new screening room on the ground floor of the Lowell Thomas building. Carroll shared her experiences with prominent journalist and family friend Lowell Thomas. Carroll exchanged childhood memories and provided much insight into the man who has left a profound mark on Marist.
The second portion of the presentation was a showing of one of Carroll's favorite films produced by Thomas, entitled "High Adventure with Lowell Thomas." Thomas, along with his son Lowell Jr., or "Sunny," document their journey through the Himalayan Mountains in hopes of entering Tibet. Thomas was fascinated with Buddhism and its culture and was on a quest to meet the Dalai Lama. Thomas was one of the first westerners to visit Tibet. He documents the struggle for Buddhism to thrive in the face of Chinese control and communist influences. In the film, Thomas begins to understand why he was granted permission to conduct his assignment. The documentary allowed the people of Tibet to inform the western world about the overarching Chinese superpower.
This film gave a considerable amount of insight into the life and career of Lowell Thomas. His efforts in Tibet illustrate his dedication to world exploration and the importance of the media. Kathleen Carroll provided invaluable information into one of the pioneers of broadcast journalism. The presentation gave a face to the name that has become a prominent figure at Marist College.
Carroll's closing remarks encompass Lowell Thomas's influential contribution to the Marist community.
"I wanted to give you a glancing impression of what a really extraordinary man he was, and I think you are very lucky to be in this institution which has his name on it. He is a great role model."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Kleba talks about his passion for PersonaCards
- Marist cross country team writes to Chicago pen pals
- First Meal Madness will have you asking for seconds
- Life in Gulliver's Paws: a student veteran and his dog
- Journalism students: Why not write for The Circle
- Why criticism of Navy SEAL is justified
- Jeremy Schaap inspires aspiring sports journalists
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge