Film critic inaugurates Lowell Thomas screening room
Drink away your life's Hitchcock moments. klausthebest/FLICKR
Marist College hosted former N.Y. Daily News film critic Kathleen Carroll on Monday, Nov. 12 as the first presentation in the brand new screening room on the ground floor of the Lowell Thomas building. Carroll shared her experiences with prominent journalist and family friend Lowell Thomas. Carroll exchanged childhood memories and provided much insight into the man who has left a profound mark on Marist.
The second portion of the presentation was a showing of one of Carroll's favorite films produced by Thomas, entitled "High Adventure with Lowell Thomas." Thomas, along with his son Lowell Jr., or "Sunny," document their journey through the Himalayan Mountains in hopes of entering Tibet. Thomas was fascinated with Buddhism and its culture and was on a quest to meet the Dalai Lama. Thomas was one of the first westerners to visit Tibet. He documents the struggle for Buddhism to thrive in the face of Chinese control and communist influences. In the film, Thomas begins to understand why he was granted permission to conduct his assignment. The documentary allowed the people of Tibet to inform the western world about the overarching Chinese superpower.
This film gave a considerable amount of insight into the life and career of Lowell Thomas. His efforts in Tibet illustrate his dedication to world exploration and the importance of the media. Kathleen Carroll provided invaluable information into one of the pioneers of broadcast journalism. The presentation gave a face to the name that has become a prominent figure at Marist College.
Carroll's closing remarks encompass Lowell Thomas's influential contribution to the Marist community.
"I wanted to give you a glancing impression of what a really extraordinary man he was, and I think you are very lucky to be in this institution which has his name on it. He is a great role model."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program