A farewell letter from outgoing SGA President Paulsen
Dare to venture beyond wing distributors directly across the street from campus. Innovative flavors and masses of bleu cheese sauce await. Bitslammer/Flickr
Last summer, I had the privilege of attending freshmen orientation and meeting the Marist Class of 2015 before their first day of college. Every day began with an amazing video put together by the First Year Programs staff that helped give the newest members of the Marist community an idea of what college was all about. The video ended with a few lines that read, "Life doesn't last forever. Neither does college. Make the best of both. Make a difference at Marist."
But what does "make a difference" exactly mean? For those who know me well, they would say I am a big believer in the "Starfish Poem." In short, the "Starfish Poem" talks about how everyone can make a difference in the world, no matter how big or how small that difference may be. The idea is that, if everyone helps out a little, we can accomplish a lot as a whole. I think this poem relates perfectly back to our students and Student Government.
You see, people often think that you need a big, fancy title or to win a major election to truly make a difference. Don't get me wrong; Student Government, in my opinion, has done some amazing things this year. From Zip Cars to the emergency texting notification systems, new ATMs around campus to discounted taxi rides, I feel that we have done a lot to push Marist forward. Truthfully, though, these aren't the "differences" that make Marist the place it is. The things I am talking about - the differences I see on a daily basis - are from the people who go out of their way to help another out in any way possible. These people stay up late to help their friend with a difficult assignment. These people pick up a friend who is having a bad day. These are the people who make a difference at Marist every single day, and although they seldom get any recognition or credit for what they do, they are the people that make Marist a true community.
In closing, I am extremely humbled and honored to have had the chance to serve as your student body president this past year. I want to thank all of the students, administrators, faculty and staff that have helped me out so much this past year; I cannot thank you enough for everything you do for this school. And to all of my amazing friends - you all know who you are - you personally have made a difference to me in more ways than you probably know. I am going to miss Marist College immensely when I graduate in a short eight weeks, but the memories and friendships I have made here will last forever. Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to read this, God Bless and Go Red Foxes!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- How to Overcome Your Smile Insecurities
- Bringing the Family Together At the Dinner Table
- Good Dental Care: Make It Safe
- Gran promesa latina lanza línea de moda para el...
- Cystic Fibrosis Breakthrough for Patients With Fungal...
- Millennials and Health Care
- Is Your Christmas Tree Up to the Task?
- Save Time and Money With a Mail-Order Pharmacy
- How to Store Your Warm Weather Gear for Winter Hibernation
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS
- beIN SPORTS ANNOUNCES 2016-17 CONFERENCE USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
- GoFundMe to Award $100,000 in College Scholarships