Marist and beyond: fun things to do off campus
While most everyone sees the beauty of living at Marist in the fall, few are aware of the activities that take advantage of the season in the Hudson River Valley.
One activity that is a fall favorite of many is apple picking. Some local orchards include Fishkill Farms in Hopewell Junction, Meadowbrook Farms in Wappingers Falls and Terhune Orchards in Salt Point. Not only does apple and pumpkin picking provide some afternoon fun, you will also bring home food for you room as well as some fall decorations.
If students and their friends are willing to make a day out of the fall festivities, there is the Catskill Corn Maze in Hurley. While students can make their way through the corn maze, some of the other options offered include a zip-line, day and night time hay rides, canoe and kayak rentals, walking trails, bike trails and fishing. At the end of the month, the establishment is featuring free drive-in movies with a bonfire and s'mores.
One of the lesser-known attractions, but fits perfectly with the autumn season is the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving, was written right here in the valley and Irving, as well as Andrew Carnegie and William Rockefeller are buried in this cemetery. The cemetery offers guided afternoon and while this may not meet a college student's appetite, the cemetery also offers night tours, and on Halloween, there are themed tours.
According the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery website, "We cover more than a mile on foot and encounter stairs, unpaved roads, and hills."
On the visits, the tour guides take followers and show them "some of the cemetery art, architecture, and symbols on our grounds, and we almost always step into the cemetery's 112-year-old underground receiving vault."
Although often understated, the walking bridge is a great way to take in the scenery on and off the Marist College campus. And since fall is one of the most beautiful times here, it is also one of the most practical times to take a trip down the road and view campus from a different perspective.
With the Culinary Institute of America just down the road, there are many restaurants worth trying in the local area. Voted the number five best food and drink in the Hudson Valley is A Touch of Naples Pizza and Pasta. This pizzeria is the perfect place to grab a casual meal off campus.
Also making the Hudson Valley Best list is Neko Sushi and Hibachi in Wappingers Falls. This local fare offers the traditional Japanese sushi as well a Hibachi grill. Not only does this provide an enjoyable dinner for the group, Hibachi offers entertainment from the chefs as they cook your food in front of you.
And lastly, to satisfy the sweet tooth in most every college student is The Pastry Garden in Poughkeepsie. Offering pies, pastries, cakes and baked goods, The Pastry Garden has been named the number one bakery for the past 20 years by the Hudson Valley Best Magazine.
Living in the Hudson Valley, students often overlook some of the local gems. With many seasonal happenings as well as year-round cuisine, the local lifestyle is not one to be missed.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas