Men's Soccer Falls at #20 NC State
Despite a valiant effort against a nationally ranked foe, the Marist men's soccer team fell to North Carolina State by a 3-1 score line. A goal from junior midfielder Evan Southworth in the 29th minute knotted the score for the Red Foxes at one, but the Wolfpack showed why they were ranked 20th in the nation as the came back with two more goals of their own for the victory.
NC State got off to a quick start, getting all over the Red Foxes right from the opening kickoff. Marist goalkeeper Anthony Sokalski was able to keep the game scoreless early on, making two early saves, but the Wolfpack broke through in the sixteenth minute with the opening tally. The Red Foxes were then able to level in the 29th minute on Southworth's goal. Sophomore Matty Berman hit a free kick into the box which Southworth headed past the NC State keeper for his second goal on the season.
Southworth's offensive performance with the Red Foxes is a welcomed addition, to go along with his already steady work ethic and defensive play. Coach Matt Viggiano attributes Southworth's performances as of late to his soccer intangibles and effort on the pitch.
"It's the same thing that he's brought to us defensively and that's an unbelievable work ethic," Viggiano said. "He's always in constant motion and seems to be at the right place at the right time, especially on free kicks."
The Marist lead was short lived, however, as the Wolfpack struck just forty seconds later to take a 2-1 lead, which they would maintain into the break. Coming out of the locker room down just one goal, Marist was able to create several chances in the second half but were unable to bury a goal. The Red Foxes outshot NC State by a 5-2 margin in the second 45 minutes of play, they could not find the back of the net before the Wolfpack added an insurance marker in the 85th minute for the final 3-1 score line.
"[Playing NC State], it's two fold," Viggiano said. "It prepares us for the MAAC, playing against that kind of competition, and it gives our guys idea where they're at. Playing against the best in the country is great preparation for a possible NCAA game if we advance there. As a mid-major, we would have to go play somewhere like that in a first round game."
The Red Foxes fall to 2-3 with the defeat, while the Wolfpack remain undefeated at 6-0. Marist is coming off of a MAAC semi-final appearance last season, with a dynamic offensive roster. After losing players like Krystian Witkowski to the MLS Draft, Lucas Szabo to graduation and Matt Wendelken to transfer, Marist is facing a situation of replacing a great deal of individual talent. Coach Viggiano feels that it will take a group effort to offset the loss of those players, but feels as a unit the talent is there.
"It will definitely be a group effort [to replace Witkowski]," Viggiano said. "We were missing two of our better players, Hill and Davis, who was the leading scorer at Providence last year, and haven't had our full eleven all on the field at once yet. It's some bad luck and if we get healthy for MAAC's we have a very good group.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Murray to retire with Marist at a historical high point
- Bleachers coming to Marist for Spring Concert
- Furious 7 Review
- Marist Dance Ensemble to Perform Spring Showcase This Weekend
- Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program at Marist
- Some Dreams Never Die: Why I Love Marist is Here to Stay
- Dancing with the Stars Contestants Pull Big Crowd
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now