Women's lacrosse earns huge win over Canisius
The Marist Red Foxes women's lacrosse team defeated conference rival Canisius by a score of 13-11 at Tenney Stadium over the weekend, erasing a two goal halftime deficit. The win improves the Red Foxes to 3-11 overall for the season and 2-2 in the MAAC, while the Golden Griffins drop to 6-7 overall and 2-2 in conference. The two teams currently sit tied for third in the MAAC, along with Iona, with two games remaining for each team. The top four teams will qualify for the MAAC Tournament.
Ariel Kramer and Emily Leonard led the offensive charge for the Red Foxes with a hat trick apiece, while Megan Oosting paced Canisius with four goals and four assists in the losing effort.
The Golden Griffins took an early lead with a pair of goals in the opening 62 seconds, before goals from Ashley Miller and Kelly Condon evened the score for Marist.
The teams would trade goals for the next few minutes, as goals from Kramer and Jori Procaccini gave the Red Foxes a 4-3 lead. However, Canisius would respond with two goals over the final three minutes to gain the 7-5 halftime lead.
Leonard would cut the lead in half with a goal in the opening minute of the 2nd half. Morgan Leonard upped the lead back to two goals for the Golden Griffins, scoring with 28:38 to play.
Marist would come back to tie the game at eight over the next five minutes with goals from Procaccini and Kramer. The teams continued to trade goals until the 10:30 mark, when Jamie Romano, a sophomore midfielder from Kings Point, N.Y. gave the Red Foxes the lead for good, making the score 11-10 at the time.
Romano would tally another goal just three minutes later and the final goal of the day for Marist would come from Leonard at the 4:55 mark.
The Golden Griffins were held scoreless for a stretch of 13 minutes in the second half, before Oosting netted her fourth of the day and fortieth of the season with 47 seconds remaining, accounting for the final count of 13-11.
"I wouldn't call it a comeback, we felt we were in control at the half and it was just a matter of initiating our game plan," Marist head coach Jessica O'Brien said. "It proved to me as a coach that we worked harder them in the second half."
Ashley Casiano made 14 saves in net for the Red Foxes, while Kayla Scully recorded six saves for Canisius.
Up next for Marist is a battle against first place Fairfield on Wednesday afternoon. The Stags have won 28 MAAC games in a row, with the last loss coming on April 27, 2008 in the MAAC tournament at the hands of Marist. Faceoff is scheduled for 3:00 P.M.
"I love the fact that they haven't lost a MAAC game in nearly four years, it gives my girls a lot more incentive, we have a long history with Fairfield and we would like to change their history," O'Brien said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Know your Sodexo: she knows your name, here's hers
- The Gift that Keeps on Giving: The Marist College Giving Tree
- Marist students "Lean In" on campus
- Spring registration causes headaches for communication students
- Reflecting on the upcoming cancellations of fall television shows
- Intro to Public Relations class raises money for local Poughkeepsie children
- Philosophy conference's keynote address draws crowd
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World