Women's lacrosse earns huge win over Canisius
The Marist Red Foxes women's lacrosse team defeated conference rival Canisius by a score of 13-11 at Tenney Stadium over the weekend, erasing a two goal halftime deficit. The win improves the Red Foxes to 3-11 overall for the season and 2-2 in the MAAC, while the Golden Griffins drop to 6-7 overall and 2-2 in conference. The two teams currently sit tied for third in the MAAC, along with Iona, with two games remaining for each team. The top four teams will qualify for the MAAC Tournament.
Ariel Kramer and Emily Leonard led the offensive charge for the Red Foxes with a hat trick apiece, while Megan Oosting paced Canisius with four goals and four assists in the losing effort.
The Golden Griffins took an early lead with a pair of goals in the opening 62 seconds, before goals from Ashley Miller and Kelly Condon evened the score for Marist.
The teams would trade goals for the next few minutes, as goals from Kramer and Jori Procaccini gave the Red Foxes a 4-3 lead. However, Canisius would respond with two goals over the final three minutes to gain the 7-5 halftime lead.
Leonard would cut the lead in half with a goal in the opening minute of the 2nd half. Morgan Leonard upped the lead back to two goals for the Golden Griffins, scoring with 28:38 to play.
Marist would come back to tie the game at eight over the next five minutes with goals from Procaccini and Kramer. The teams continued to trade goals until the 10:30 mark, when Jamie Romano, a sophomore midfielder from Kings Point, N.Y. gave the Red Foxes the lead for good, making the score 11-10 at the time.
Romano would tally another goal just three minutes later and the final goal of the day for Marist would come from Leonard at the 4:55 mark.
The Golden Griffins were held scoreless for a stretch of 13 minutes in the second half, before Oosting netted her fourth of the day and fortieth of the season with 47 seconds remaining, accounting for the final count of 13-11.
"I wouldn't call it a comeback, we felt we were in control at the half and it was just a matter of initiating our game plan," Marist head coach Jessica O'Brien said. "It proved to me as a coach that we worked harder them in the second half."
Ashley Casiano made 14 saves in net for the Red Foxes, while Kayla Scully recorded six saves for Canisius.
Up next for Marist is a battle against first place Fairfield on Wednesday afternoon. The Stags have won 28 MAAC games in a row, with the last loss coming on April 27, 2008 in the MAAC tournament at the hands of Marist. Faceoff is scheduled for 3:00 P.M.
"I love the fact that they haven't lost a MAAC game in nearly four years, it gives my girls a lot more incentive, we have a long history with Fairfield and we would like to change their history," O'Brien said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Food, Fuel, and Finance ... The 3Fs of Economics
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates