Women's lacrosse earns huge win over Canisius
The Marist Red Foxes women's lacrosse team defeated conference rival Canisius by a score of 13-11 at Tenney Stadium over the weekend, erasing a two goal halftime deficit. The win improves the Red Foxes to 3-11 overall for the season and 2-2 in the MAAC, while the Golden Griffins drop to 6-7 overall and 2-2 in conference. The two teams currently sit tied for third in the MAAC, along with Iona, with two games remaining for each team. The top four teams will qualify for the MAAC Tournament.
Ariel Kramer and Emily Leonard led the offensive charge for the Red Foxes with a hat trick apiece, while Megan Oosting paced Canisius with four goals and four assists in the losing effort.
The Golden Griffins took an early lead with a pair of goals in the opening 62 seconds, before goals from Ashley Miller and Kelly Condon evened the score for Marist.
The teams would trade goals for the next few minutes, as goals from Kramer and Jori Procaccini gave the Red Foxes a 4-3 lead. However, Canisius would respond with two goals over the final three minutes to gain the 7-5 halftime lead.
Leonard would cut the lead in half with a goal in the opening minute of the 2nd half. Morgan Leonard upped the lead back to two goals for the Golden Griffins, scoring with 28:38 to play.
Marist would come back to tie the game at eight over the next five minutes with goals from Procaccini and Kramer. The teams continued to trade goals until the 10:30 mark, when Jamie Romano, a sophomore midfielder from Kings Point, N.Y. gave the Red Foxes the lead for good, making the score 11-10 at the time.
Romano would tally another goal just three minutes later and the final goal of the day for Marist would come from Leonard at the 4:55 mark.
The Golden Griffins were held scoreless for a stretch of 13 minutes in the second half, before Oosting netted her fourth of the day and fortieth of the season with 47 seconds remaining, accounting for the final count of 13-11.
"I wouldn't call it a comeback, we felt we were in control at the half and it was just a matter of initiating our game plan," Marist head coach Jessica O'Brien said. "It proved to me as a coach that we worked harder them in the second half."
Ashley Casiano made 14 saves in net for the Red Foxes, while Kayla Scully recorded six saves for Canisius.
Up next for Marist is a battle against first place Fairfield on Wednesday afternoon. The Stags have won 28 MAAC games in a row, with the last loss coming on April 27, 2008 in the MAAC tournament at the hands of Marist. Faceoff is scheduled for 3:00 P.M.
"I love the fact that they haven't lost a MAAC game in nearly four years, it gives my girls a lot more incentive, we have a long history with Fairfield and we would like to change their history," O'Brien said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Kleba talks about his passion for PersonaCards
- Marist cross country team writes to Chicago pen pals
- First Meal Madness will have you asking for seconds
- Life in Gulliver's Paws: a student veteran and his dog
- Journalism students: Why not write for The Circle
- Why criticism of Navy SEAL is justified
- Jeremy Schaap inspires aspiring sports journalists
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge