Sizzle Up Some Barbequed Kabobs this Summer
Chicken kabob is not only delicious but also a great way to spend time cooking. Caitlin Nolan
Summer, a time of year when people gather in their backyards to sip on cocktails, shoot the "ish", and grill up their favorite foods, is nearing closer every day. For me, the best part about the summer time is barbequing. Yeah it's cool to throw a few hot dogs and hamburgers onto the charcoal, smother them with mustard and ketchup and call it a day, but honestly where is the excitement? Wanting to take advantage of the beautiful weather and grill up something delicious and healthy, one thing came to mind..chicken kabobs! I had all the ingredients and it was perfect. I made a quick marinade, sliced up a few chicken breasts, peppers, onions, and tomatoes, and season everything accordingly. Step by step, first I soaked wooden skewers in a bowl of water for 20 minutes. It is important to do this so that the skewers don't burn or catch on fire once they are on the grill. Second I made a simple sweet and spicy marinade. In a large bowl I combined one cup of olive oil, one cup of orange juice and half a cup of soy sauce. To introduce a little spice to the mix, I diced up one medium sized jalapeno pepper. In addition, I minced six cloves of garlic and half of a red onion. Finally I seasoned it all with a few pinches of salt and pepper. The next step was to prep all the vegetables. I grabbed two green peppers, one red pepper, three medium sized tomatoes, one yellow onion and the second half of the red onion. I chopped everything up into bite sized pieces and set them aside until it was ready to assemble. The third step was to cut up four chicken breasts into bite sized pieces; preferably in one inch cubes.
Finally, it was time to assemble. I removed the wooden skewers from the water and began placing three cubes of chicken and a bunch of each vegetable on each. Finishing shortly after, I counted 15 kabobs. I put the kabobs in two large zip lock bags and poured the marinade over them, letting the ingredients get acquinted with each other for an hour in the refrigerator.
The hour was well worth the wait. I took the kabobs out of the refrigerator and got a huge whiff of all the flavors. I was excited for what was to come. Turning on the mini portable grill my housemates and I share, I portioned out the kabobs to be made in two batches. It was time! The kabobs cooked on medium high heat for eight minutes on each side. I would recommend rotating them four times during that period, only to keep them from burning and overcooking.
This was my first grill session of the season. The food was excellent and I didn't have to spend more than $25 on a meal which easily fed four people. My advice to everyone is to enjoy the summer with friends and family. Start grilling your favorite foods, whether it's chicken, steak, fish, vegetable or fruit. Get out there and master your grill!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Why Obamacare is not good for America
- Marist alum, Bill O’Reilly, ‘71, debuts new book
- Progression of marriage equality: a good thing for the US
- Music: do we download it, stream it or buy it?
- Top 10 Fall Activities in the Hudson Valley
- Movie Review: Gone Girl
- Center for Sport Communication hosts conversation with Jack Ford
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus