Marist ranked No. 8 Best Regional University
Marist College has certainly developed a strong reputation in recent years. The college has increased its popularity due to enrollment rates, the aesthetic campus, highly qualified faculty and availability of technological resources. With that said, seems a no-brainer that the U.S. News & World Report selected Marist for the No. 8 ranking on its 2013 list for "Best Regional Universities." Rising from last year's No. 13 spot, this is the highest ranking that Marist has ever held, and it speaks volumes to the promising future of the institution. In the Marist Department of Public Affairs press release, President Dennis Murray spoke about the college's achievement.
"Marist's rise in these and other rankings is just one indicator among many of the College's continued success in providing a top-quality education to an increasingly talented and diverse student body," he said.
The U.S. News & World Report bases its rankings on several factors. Listed on its website is an explicit breakdown of the methodology that is utilized. The first step of the process requires U.S. News to define the institution as a research university or a national liberal arts college. The distinguishing factors between the two are its size and types of degrees that are offered. Research universities typically offer degrees at the doctorate level, whereas national liberal arts colleges have a larger focus on undergraduate degrees. Secondly, they conduct their own research about a particular school, evaluate and calculate scores for 16 different categories. Once all the scores are added together, the final score is compared with scores from other schools, and the final rankings are established.
Marist's new ranking can serve as a valid explanation of its increased popularity. The current freshman class size is the largest in the college's history. The Office of Admissions reported that for the 2011-2012 academic year, Marist received a record-breaking number of undergraduate applications, reaching close to 10,000. With increased student enrollment comes more funding and resources. As the college continues to expand and adapt to a growing student body, Marist seems destined for a positive future filled with more achievements and honors.
Another vital factor that has contributed to Marist's popularity is the Marist Poll. The Marist Poll is now referenced on every major news broadcast, certainly giving the school some vast national exposure. The Marist Poll is one of the components that distinguish Marist from many of its counterparts. It shows how Marist has utilized technology and has expanded its resources to becoming an enriched institution.
The general reaction on campus to Marist's new ranking has been positive.
"While every college has room for growth, one thing I really like about Marist is their openness to hearing student concerns and making efforts to include us in campus improvements," senior Becky Rotondo said.
The news has also sparked a sense of Marist pride.
"It makes me feel good that I attend such a prestigious school," senior Kate Annunziato said.
Marist College has amassed a large network of exposure and has enhanced its reputation very successfully. Its newest ranking in the U.S News & World Report is an added honor to the college's long list of accomplishments.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Amateur Athletes Seek Non-Opioid Pain Relief
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards