Marist ranked No. 8 Best Regional University
Marist College has certainly developed a strong reputation in recent years. The college has increased its popularity due to enrollment rates, the aesthetic campus, highly qualified faculty and availability of technological resources. With that said, seems a no-brainer that the U.S. News & World Report selected Marist for the No. 8 ranking on its 2013 list for "Best Regional Universities." Rising from last year's No. 13 spot, this is the highest ranking that Marist has ever held, and it speaks volumes to the promising future of the institution. In the Marist Department of Public Affairs press release, President Dennis Murray spoke about the college's achievement.
"Marist's rise in these and other rankings is just one indicator among many of the College's continued success in providing a top-quality education to an increasingly talented and diverse student body," he said.
The U.S. News & World Report bases its rankings on several factors. Listed on its website is an explicit breakdown of the methodology that is utilized. The first step of the process requires U.S. News to define the institution as a research university or a national liberal arts college. The distinguishing factors between the two are its size and types of degrees that are offered. Research universities typically offer degrees at the doctorate level, whereas national liberal arts colleges have a larger focus on undergraduate degrees. Secondly, they conduct their own research about a particular school, evaluate and calculate scores for 16 different categories. Once all the scores are added together, the final score is compared with scores from other schools, and the final rankings are established.
Marist's new ranking can serve as a valid explanation of its increased popularity. The current freshman class size is the largest in the college's history. The Office of Admissions reported that for the 2011-2012 academic year, Marist received a record-breaking number of undergraduate applications, reaching close to 10,000. With increased student enrollment comes more funding and resources. As the college continues to expand and adapt to a growing student body, Marist seems destined for a positive future filled with more achievements and honors.
Another vital factor that has contributed to Marist's popularity is the Marist Poll. The Marist Poll is now referenced on every major news broadcast, certainly giving the school some vast national exposure. The Marist Poll is one of the components that distinguish Marist from many of its counterparts. It shows how Marist has utilized technology and has expanded its resources to becoming an enriched institution.
The general reaction on campus to Marist's new ranking has been positive.
"While every college has room for growth, one thing I really like about Marist is their openness to hearing student concerns and making efforts to include us in campus improvements," senior Becky Rotondo said.
The news has also sparked a sense of Marist pride.
"It makes me feel good that I attend such a prestigious school," senior Kate Annunziato said.
Marist College has amassed a large network of exposure and has enhanced its reputation very successfully. Its newest ranking in the U.S News & World Report is an added honor to the college's long list of accomplishments.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- The Gift that Keeps on Giving: The Marist College Giving Tree
- Marist students "Lean In" on campus
- Spring registration causes headaches for communication students
- Reflecting on the upcoming cancellations of fall television shows
- Intro to Public Relations class raises money for local Poughkeepsie children
- Philosophy conference's keynote address draws crowd
- Marist’s society of professional journalists meets with news organizations
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists