Red Fox softball drops 3 of 5 in North Carolina
The Women’s Softball team played five games in Wilmington, North Carolina over a three-day span for the Seahawk Softball Spring Classic. The end of the weekend concluded with mixed results for the Red Foxes. Marist finished 2-3 for this tournament and was outscored 28-20. Marist played a doubleheader against Delaware and Western Carolina on Friday, UNCW and North Carolina AT&T on Saturday, and one game against UNCW on Sunday. Marist ended up losing the first three games but finished strong to win the last two.
In the first game, Delaware was able to score seven runs off of Marist pitching. Melanie White was lit up for six earned runs and she put 11 runners on base in just four innings of work. Rebecca Freeman led a dormant Marist offense with three of the six Marist hits, and two runs batted in. Final Score: Delaware 7, Marist 3. The second game, Marist again had a struggling offense. Just four hits for the team and batters struck out 12 times. While Western Carolina’s offense exploded with ten hits and six runs, their pitching was the highlight of the game. Mallory Broome won the game in relief, giving up one earned run over three innings, striking out five. Final Score: Western Carolina 6, Marist 1.
During the third game, Marist was able to score five runs and was led by Maureen Duddy, who had three hits and an RBI. Unfortunately, it was not enough to UNCW’s nine run attack, bolstered by a four run sixth inning. Janine Lalli was tagged with the loss, giving up nine earned runs and ten hits during a complete game. Final Score: UNCW 9, Marist 5. In the fourth game, Marist pitching dominated North Carolina AT&T’s offense. Melanie White pitched a complete game, allowing just one earned run and allowed just four hits. Maureen Duddy led the team offensively, scoring three runs and adding in two hits and an RBI. Final Score: Marist 5, North Carolina AT&T 2.
In the fifth game, Rebecca Freeman led the offense with two hits and three runs batted in. Jayne Oberdorf pitched a complete game and even with four earned runs, she was able to come away with a win. She also only allowed six UNCW base runners during the game, while striking out five. Final Score: Marist 6, UNCW 4.
While the tournament might not have gone exactly as they wanted, Melanie White was named the MAAC Pitcher of the week. This came after she complied a 3.50 ERA in her 14 innings of work. Marist has a break the rest of this week and do not play again until Friday, March 13th against Memphis. This tournament lasts nine games, five in Charleston, South Carolina, two in Durham, North Carolina and two in Hampton, Virginia.
These players lead in different categories for the team so far. Rebecca Freeman leads with a .385 AVG, seven RBIs, and a .500 SLG. Maureen Duddy leads with 11 hits, six walks, and a .486 OBP. Jayne Oberdorf leads with a 2-1 record, 3.35 ERA, and an opponents batting average of .221. Melanie White leads with four games started, 26 innings pitched, and 19 strikeouts.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas