The East Coast's Coldest Summer Hotspot
With finals week just around the corner, students across campus are looking forward to
finishing that last final, taking off, and not looking back until August. As the school year
comes to a close, thoughts of sitting on a beach without a care in the world are what propel
overworked and under-rested students through the most stressful week known to man. For
obvious reasons, the beach is a popular summer destination for students and families alike;
many of us even call the famed Jersey Shore home. It is impossible to go wrong with
spending a week, a day or even just a few hours relaxing on the beach; however, there are
so many places that get overlooked by people looking for a memorable vacation.
For most people, the state of Maine conjures up thoughts of snow and moose, not sun and
relaxation. With average summer temperatures of 70-80° F, the state of Maine is not a
typical summer vacation hotspot, but it is a great destination for people looking to try new
things and experience some of the best nature has to offer.
From Marist, one can reach Maine in approximately seven hours, making it an ideal road
trip destination. Whether someone is looking for a relaxing vacation filled with shopping and
sunbathing, or a more active adventure, there is something in Maine for everyone. Southern
Maine is home to the East Coast’s very own Portland, a town filled with shops, restaurants
and history. Here, one can visit an array of art galleries, farmers markets and local
restaurants and stores.
The one thing Maine is perhaps most famous for (other than its moose population) is its
lobster. The coastal towns of Maine have been catching lobsters for centuries, and it is
evident by the fact that nearly every restaurant in Maine offers lobster rolls, delicious
creations of lobster and drawn butter on hot dog rolls. The trip to Maine is worth it, if only to
experience the joy of eating lobster on the go.
Maine’s beaches are the hidden gems of the East Coast (though they cannot compare to
the Jersey Shore). Places like Crescent Beach and Wells offer a chance to relax in the sand
and enjoy the Atlantic Ocean. The difference between the beaches of Maine and the
beaches along the rest of the East Coast is that many of Maine’s beaches are state parks.
The coast of Maine offers many opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, swimming, and an
active lifestyle in general.
The largely untouched natural landscape of Maine is stunning and offers infinite
opportunities for adventure. Whether it’s hiking, biking, camping or enjoying a picnic, there is
a park in Maine that is perfect for any occasion. Cape Elizabeth’s Two Lights State Park is
one state park that has something for everyone. This aptly named park is home to two
lighthouses and the remains of a World War II-era seacoast battery bunker. At Two Lights,
one can hike the multiple trails, climb down the cliffs to the ocean, glimpse into the hundreds
of tide pools along Maine’s rocky coast and enjoy spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean
and Casco Bay.
This summer, instead of immediately migrating south after finals week, consider heading
north to experience some of the best culture, nature and lobster available on the East Coast.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More maristcircle News Articles
Recent maristcircle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARISTCIRCLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARISTCIRCLE NEWS
- Tailgate sets positive vibe as Marist football defeats Sacred Heart
- Class of 2019 abounds with diversity
- Marist Poll goes to D.C.
- ASU’s second annual "Color Run" is a success
- Habitat for Humanity: a growing service presence on campus
- A letter from the student body president
- Puppies: Adorable & Effective Stress Relievers
RECENT MARISTCIRCLE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas