Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Women's soccer falls to Temple

Staff Writer

Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 23:09

The Marist women’s soccer team lost a heartbreaker on Sunday afternoon, 1-0. The visiting Temple Owls came away victorious by scoring the game-winner with three minutes remaining in the first overtime period.

            The loss drops Marist to 6-5 heading into MAAC play, while the Owls picked up their third win of the season and sits at 3-6-2 overall.

            Paula Jurewicz put the game winner just past the diving Caitlin Landsman, and gave her team the walk-off victory on a gorgeous afternoon at Tenney Stadium.

            The match was dominated by the Red Foxes, who had a number of quality scoring chances but couldn’t quite get one past the stout goalkeeping of Temple’s Tara Murphy.

            “I don’t take anything from them [Temple] with the win, they were determined to keep us off the scoreboard and to their credit, they did. For us, it’s just knowing how to finish on opportunities that we are given” head coach Cait Lyn said.

            A couple of the great opportunities for the home team would come early on as senior Melanie Rigo booted one from 35 yards out. Just four minutes later, Rycke Guiney forced Murphy to make a leaping save.

            The game was played evenly for the rest of the first half and the teams went into halftime scoreless, with the Red Foxes holding an 11-3 advantage in shots.

            The opening stages of the second half featured a couple of more high-quality chances, as senior captain Chelsea Botta created shots for Alycia Cartica and Jackie Frey. Cartica’s shot was saved by Murphy, while Frey’s attempt went just wide of the net.

            Temple would come back with their own chances in a span of ten minutes when senior goalie Caitlin Landsman stood tall in the face of adversity. The Burke, VA native made four saves in that span.

            Over the final ten minutes, Jaclynn Sabia put two shots on net for the Red Foxes and the game headed into overtime to decide a winner.

            Four minutes into the extra period, Guiney nearly won it for the Red Foxes with a rocket from about 40 yards out that sailed inches high of the crossbar, breaking the collective hearts of the Marist fans.

            For the match, Marist outshot the Owls 26-10, including a slight 8-7 advantage in shots on target. Landsman recorded six saves in the losing effort.

            The Red Foxes will hit the road this weekend to open conference play as they head west to take on Canisius and Niagara. They will face the Golden Griffins on Friday at 7 p.m. before battling the Purple Eagles in a Sunday afternoon matinee slated for 1:00 p.m.

            “We have to use our Sunday game as a motivator. It’s not always the best team that wins, but rather the one that is most desirable and determined. I think that will be our push today, especially in the attack” Lyn said.


Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!

log out